Friday 20 September 2013

First tentative steps

I've set up this blog to record the journey of publishing a novel online, from absolutely nothing to final product. I'd love it if you joined me on this voyage.

I wrote the book The Mirror Children  in 2004 and it's been sitting on my computer ever since. At first I dreamt of publishing it as a paperback but, in the 9 years that have passed since finishing the book, the world of publishing has changed beyond all recognition. I know almost nothing about these changes. I have no experience whatsoever in digital publishing. I'm a little frightened and daunted about how to start. I read about successful novelists with millions of downloads on Kindle. I hear people telling me that I need to exploit Facebook and Twitter, get a website, design a cover, sort out the ISBNs, get a following, generate interest, start a blog... It's like trying to jump on to a moving train.

Well, at least I've started a blog. But, as a wise friend stated, every blog needs a purpose. Otherwise why would anyone bother to follow it? So, ostensibly, this blog will be an idiot-proof guide on how to publish an e-book. There may be some self-indulgent stuff in here, too.

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I can help you here. I have some publishing experience from Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cai, thanks for posting! I'm going to need some - ahem - guidance. But it's exciting actually just to sit down and get started.

      Delete
  2. Jase - I also have someone who may be able to help you in that field. Let me know if you'd like me to put you in touch. Cheers Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin. Will be thinking of you as you go to see Corderoy

      Delete